Saturday 14 May 2011

Noma Time!

Eurovision is on.. I am tucked away in the corner of the room typing this while the rest of the awesomefoursome are really enjoying it. I just have no words when it comes to Eurovision so I shall move on and find words about other things.. I think the first words I shall find will be about how on Thursday I headed off to meet Georg and Mike in Copenhagen and accompany Georg to noma.. where I had a meal that started off as a total mind fuck and then just continued to blow my mind.. it was only after a few appetisers that I looked at Georg and went "thank you Mike for getting sick" coz you see, he was in Germany before coming to us and totally must have eaten some rather dodgy sausages.. but hey it was totally my gain and I am more than glad that I got to experience one of the most unique meals that I will ever in my life get to experience.. in saying that.. I would totally love to go back and do the 12 course meal with a group setting.. not that I am saying that it sucks having just the 2 people but in a largeish group setting I think it would really rock ya socks off and down the hall!
Georg and I 'only' had the 7 course meal, accompanied by a single speciality beer that is brewed all special like for noma.. which was quite delish. I would just like to say again.. thanks Georg and Mike for treating me to such a fabulous meal and not to mention a fab day coz I got to do a little people watching at the airport before they arrived.. like the little little lady with heaps and I mean heaps of huge luggage.. like so big that she could have actually fit into one of the 3 suitcases she was pushing along.. to be honest I wasn't even sure how she managed to do it.. but she did so props to her lol People are such funny travellers.. makes me wonder what I look like when I travel. I also had one lady trying to blind me with a single red rose.. luckily she did not succeed and then when Georg and Mike arrived I enjoyed watching their faces looking more and more worried with each step that they couldn't see me.. priceless! I should of hidden a little longer lol

Anyways here are a bunch of photos and words from the noma experience..

Here's Georg all happy like with noma in the background.. doesn't look like one of the best eateries in the world right? However, I really loved the inside and out of the place.. it was pretty awesome.. right down to the animal skins on the seats to the first appetiser that was part of the table setting!

This was the first appetiser.. you didn't eat all the greenery but you did eat the 'twig'

Next up was moss.. which wasn't a favourite, the texture was nuts!
(nuts as in crazy)

Can't take us anywhere! Bloody messy bitchez!

OMG!! this was SO divine! If I had to say I had a fave of the entire meal, it would have to be this one.. it was fresh and tangy and just moreish.. I could of had another one of these.. vinegar soaked rose petals over a swedish fruit thin leathery thingo.. I can't remember exactly what fruit it was but it was really great.

A mussel.. where you could eat the 'shell'!

Georg eating the mussel! OmNomNom!

My first taste of pine! Which totally makes me wanna sprinkle pine over everything now.. this little mouthful of goodness was just that... goodness!

Now we got a sandwich.. crispy chicken skin on the bottom, roe.. yes I ate roe lol
It was really gooooood.

These leeks.. fucking awesome! I can't really say more than that. They were I believe blanched and then deepfried at the root end that you see there and you just wrap your lips around and take the bite in one hit and get this mouthful of pure awesome. Another that I would have liked another of.. and yes the 7 courses still hasn't even kicked in yet!

Quail eggs.. smoked on hay.. the way that they burst in your mouth is very moreish.

Who doesn't wanna eat a pot plant?
It was a radish and you dunked it into something green and gooey under the 'dirt'

This one was so pretty and so tasty and so lite and so.. just wonderful!

The little fishy in this creeped little Georg out a little but that didn't stop her from nomnomnoming it up! The head was a little squishy.. but it was all very tasty.. the middle was a little hot, which was unexpected.. hot as in temperature hot.

The appetisers just finished and we get talked into (mind you it doesn't take much to get me to agree to a beer!) and served a very good beer just before the beginning of the first course.

The first course.. cucumber, dill.. cold goodness!

Their speciality bread.. which was served with I think two types of fat, I only tried the one, coz well I forgot about it lol Georg actually managed to sneak 3 pieces in and I didn't even notice! Well done I say. lol

I found this one a little much.. as in I think they could of had a little less on the plate as I had trouble finishing it.. it was the first time I ever had squid ink too.. mind you there were a few firsts during this meal..

The oyster.. I really enjoyed it whereas Georg only had 1 bite of hers and I had the rest..
oysters aren't for everyone.

White asparagus with some more pine.. I really digged the pine.

We even got to do some cooking!! first up the hay infused oil, then you cook the egg for 90seconds before adding the herb butter, spinach and onion leaves.. saute slightly and then they come and add a saucy thing over it.. then you plonk on the fresh herbs and THEN you tuck in! right from the little frypan that is sitting on a pile of hay.

Gutted a little that hipstamatic changed settings on me! but o well.. The locally handmade knife, which to be honest wasn't needed on the next course because the meat was SO tender.

The very tender beef cheek, shaved pear yumminess.

We made it to desserts! cold, bitter, sweet.. really great!

I can't help but wonder how long it took them to perfect the stacking on this one. It went down really well even though it seemed a shame to demolish it! lol

Now it was time for a little coffee and sweetness.. these were really yummy, they had a creamy, with a slight tart which we couldn't quite put our finger on, soft marshmallowy inner.. it was REALLY good. The coffee however, wasn't that great but the little mugs were adorable! So adorable I even spoke to mine and told it so.

We ended the entire meal on a little chocolate coated crisp.. which I could have done without if I am to be really honest.. I found it too chocolatey. We also got a little take home package of a bone marrow fudge.. which was in a way the biggest disappointment of the entire experience.. I just couldn't dig the texture.. however I must say it was well worth it to have Emma try it first.. and then discovering it was a very meaty flavour and of course my Em does not eat meat! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)