Monday 23 May 2011

Bike About Paris!

Up for breakfast, supplied by the hotel.. baguettes, jams and a hot drink.. simple, tasty and quite moreish. With our bellies full we then toddled off for a long bike tour around Paris, the bikes were not desirable and well they really hurt your butt. Also I nearly fell off, coz I adjusted my seat and made it slighty too high so it was difficult to touch the ground when going slow.. and combining that with a huge curb is not a fun time. That’s not to mention that I didn’t make it up the very first hill coz I had the seat slightly too low that I couldn’t really get all my umpf behind it to get it up.. and an American dude nearly crashed into me.. which if he wasn’t bloody ‘tailgating’ me wouldn’t have happened.  That's my story and im sticking to it!

All in all the bike tour was ok, a little long winded and we seemed to get stuck with the slow pokes and crazies.. there was one Asian couple who were just mad.. I’m not sure the woman had ever actually ridden a bike before. We saw lots, learnt a little, I didn’t get to clown around much.. sad.

However, we did get taken to Jim Morrison’s old apartment, which was pretty cool for a JM/The Doors fan like myself. I think I was about the only one on the tour who really cared about that little bit on the tour.. maybe Emma did for my sake too but yeah.. in a way I guess you could say that of the whole bike tour that was more the highlight for me. OH and we found more of the space invaders.. which was pretty cool too.

After the bike tour, we all headed off to what turned out to be a pretty dodge place to eat. I had the worst meal I possibly could have eaten. Prolly the worst place to try snails and ribbit legs for the first time. I’m still a little bummed that I didn’t get to eat snails at the place called Snails, which had a big golden snail above the main entrance. Maybe another Paris trip is in order?


I did have a complete snailfail, as Georg so nicely put it.. trying to get the little suckers out of their houses.. but I got there in the end and that is the main thing... right?

After lunch, Em and I headed off to look at Jardin Des Tuileries and then a shopping strip for rich bitches.. where Em got told off for taking a photo in the smallest Disney store ever! Tsk tsk! The funniest bit about walking along that strip was seeing all these richo bitcho places and maccas! 

Moving on from the strip, we headed to check out the Arc de Triomphe 

..before making our way to the Eiffel Tower, where we did a little more people watching while enjoying an ice cream. The Eiffel tower souvenir sellers were in full force there.. I swear like very few minutes a dude would come up and try and sell me one.. or seven! It was especially funny when one dude would come up and then just a few minutes later try again. 

Time ticked on by and soon enough we met up with the Aussies and then it was time to head up.. up.. UP! I think they can make it a little less chaotic personally but I guess when you deal with that many tourists its just hard to deal with anything at all. On the way up, we missed 2.. not one but two! Elevators.. we eventually made it, I started to get a little jelly legs as we were going right up to the top.. but I overcame that quite quickly as I took in the stunning views. It was pretty stellar looking at the craftsmanship of the building itself and the views that you get.. I was pretty much in heaven. We went up as it was daylight and stayed to watch the sunset before making our way back down.. via the stairs. It was a pretty fun walk down.. and again I loved how you could see everything construction wise. It really is a pretty remarkable structure. I could have stayed up there all night. I felt quite safe, even tho I don’t like heights.


Once we were down, we got to see the tower with all its lights on and it was freaken awesome. A pretty awesome experience all around and I totally get why it is a must upon going to Paris. You really have to go up and just take in the awesomeness of it.

After we finished up with the tower, Em and I headed off to walk home along the Seine.. it turned out we were on the wrong side but that was ok, coz I think it was a little safer walking up where the cars are. Taking in all the lights.. walking in Paris and seeing it at night is pretty stellar too, my feet were already so so so sore but it was well worth them getting more sore to take in that experience. By the time we got home we were so knackered that I just wanted to fall in a heap.. which is pretty much what we did after a shower. So far I am loving Paris and what it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)